For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6.
In this prophecy Isaiah paints a picture of this child that is both breathtaking and comforting.
- To us — a gift to all of God’s people
- The government will be upon his shoulders — he will have power over everything in both heaven and earth. No power would ever be greater than his.
- Wonderful — everything about Jesus would be a wonder, from his virgin birth to his miracles and selfless sacrifice to pay for our sins.
- Counselor — he would never need to turn to elsewhere for guidance or input. Jesus knows all things.
- Mighty God — he is the only God, the all-powerful God, the God of Israel.
- Everlasting Father — through the gospel message of his work, many would become children of God.
- Prince of Peace — Through his death, we are at peace with God. Sin no longer keeps us at war with our Creator.
What do you know about the life of Jesus? Where in that life was this prophecy fulfilled? What is still ongoing?
All that starting in a tiny baby boy. A baby that probably did not look any different from many others born at that time. But oh what a life he would live. No wonder Isaiah wrote with such joy. Thank you, Jesus. for being born into our world to be our Savior.
Come back tomorrow to explore another prophecy about our Savior. I will wait you.
Unto us a boy is born, King of all creation: Cradled in a stall was He, The Lord of every nation. Omega and Alpha He! Let the organ thunder, lead us all with hearts aflame Unto the joys above us.